Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Outside of a Dog...

My favorite Groucho Marx quote is, "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" and when I (Lauren) saw the brand new, soon-to-be-released, Eyelet Outlet Book Brads, I knew immediately I wanted to make a card which said that. So I did:


My favorite thing about the Book Brads is that they coordinate realllllly well with the Book Washi Tape, so I wanted to use both products together. Of course, my lovely design team sister, Stephanie, recently made her own patterned paper using that same tape, so I had to think of an interesting variation. I decided to do a herringbone pattern. Which sounds a little fussy, but thanks to the strong vertical lines of the books, it was easy to trim the tape perfectly straight with a snip of the scissors. So I had the whole background covered in a jiffy.


Another thing I love about the Book Brads is that each package contains the same pile of books in two different colorways: a sort of neutral tan, as well as bright primary colors. It turns out they both look really nice with the tape, though. So I decided to make a bookmark, too.


All I had to do was adjust the shape of my computer generated text (the font is Comic Sans) and reprint. Since the size and shape was much more compact, I left off the Skinny Washi Tape4mm Summer Brads and Groucho-style Eye Glass Brads that I used on the card.


What's *YOUR* favorite quote? Because I'll bet you anything that there are brads in the Eyelet Outlet store that could help you illustrate it! ♥

loves brads, books, and blog visitors!

4 comments:

  1. Lauren! I am in awe of your work! This is such a clever and creative way to use the washi tape and I love what you did with the books, glasses and the quote. I can hardly wait to see what you make next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren this set is fantastic!!! I love the use of the tape as a frame and the brads are perfect. I haven't used my tape yet because I was nervous/lost on what to do with it but you've inspired me to give it a go ;0) Your pics are awesome by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just so stinkin' clever ... love it.

    ReplyDelete